Tuesday, September 8, 2009

*My Stay in the CCU*

So after they found the bloodclots, i was admitted into the hospital. They first got me into a bed and gave me a shot of Morphine into my IV, to help with my chest pains, and to calm me down. Its a good thing they did, because they then wheeled me off to the Critical Care unit, where id spend the next few days. That night a Dr basically went over all kinds of paperwork with me, and was asking me all these questions like "do you have a will made up," and "would you object to us shocking your heart if we needed to." Yeah, stuff like that doesnt make a person's stress levels go down any! Anyway... thank goodness I was drugged up that evening because I dont think I could have dealt with the reality of what was going on just yet. My room was incredibly small, just room for a bed, and a few machines. I was facing the outside hall so the nurses could always keep a close eye on me. I was hooked up to all these machines so they could keep close tabs on my vital signs. I was also started on Heparin (a blood thinner) thru my IV. I was on strict bed rest.. wasnt allowed to get out of bed at all, in fear that one of my blood clots would move around and obstruct something and cause danger to me. So i had to use a bed pan to go to the bathroom.. what fun! (not) I peed all over myself the first two times i used it... trying to get the hang of it. So i slept good that night due to the drugs. The next day I basically just had a bunch of nurses coming in to check on me and stuff..and helping me out with whatever I wanted. The food wasnt THAT bad, which was a relief. They had special visiting hours though.. only 2 people could come back to visit me at a time,and could only stay for 30 minues max. And it could only be immediate family or my preacher. And there were designated times they could come, also... so I hated that Arnold couldnt be with me more. I felt very lonely alot of the time. Until Arnold brought my laptop to me.. and at least I was allowed to get online and watch shows or get on Hickory Moms or whatever. But it still wasnt the same as real human contact w/ family and friends. Most of the time I just slept though-- they were very generous with the morphine ;-) It was a long couple of days. They said once they felt I was stable enough that they didnt have to watch my vital signs so much, they would move me to a regular room in the Heart Tower. So after about 3 days I was able to move.. I think it was on Sunday that I got to move. I was soo relieved to get to move to a bigger room... this also meant that I could see my kids again! Boy did i miss them :(

1 comment:

  1. First of all, YAY that you have a blog!!! I LOVE reading your writing, and the only I reason I kept checking myspace was to see if you updated...lol. Second of all, WOW.... I mean, we all kind of know what happened with the blood clots and all, but hearing your account of it is so scary and crazy! I cant imagine how you felt!!! I'm so glad they did the CT scan and caught the clots when they did!

    ReplyDelete